Estate planning attorneys provide invaluable services to clients. People of all ages should talk with attorneys to plan for end-of-life issues and to plan for asset distribution after death. It is also important for people at all income levels to have a plan for the future. Good estate planning attorneys can offer personalized advice which is just right for anyone’s specific life situation.
Many people do not know how to hire an estate planning lawyer, or where to begin the search for an advocate who can help them. There are certain credentials you should look for to make sure your lawyer is as qualified as possible to provide you with assistance.
Eghrari Wealth Training Law Firm can help. Our Suffolk County estate planning attorneys have a long track record of providing service to clients and we have built up a strong reputation as trusted advocates. To learn more about our credentials and experience, give us a call today.
What Credentials Should Estate Planning Attorneys Have?
When you hire an estate planning attorney, some of the key credentials to look for include:
- Membership in the American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys: To maintain membership in this prestigious academy of estate planning professionals, attorneys are required to have 36 hours of continuing education each year in the fields of estate planning, elder law, probate law, or trust administration. You can rest assured your lawyer is up-to-date on the latest legal developments in estate planning when your lawyer is an Academy member.
- Membership in the Bar Association in your state. Your lawyer needs to be a member of the Bar Association and needs to be in good standing.
- Past experience. You want to ensure your lawyer actually has real-world experience providing assistance with the key legal issues in estate planning. See how long an attorney has been in business, and whether the lawyer has a good reputation in the local area and in the legal community.
- Knowledge of estate planning issues. Look at the lawyer’s website and content posted on the Internet. Does the lawyer offer a lot of valuable information and seem to be knowledgeable about the issues that matter to you?
- Compassion and customer service skills. Your lawyer is someone who you will be working with closely to make important decisions about the future. You want to make sure your attorney listens to your goals, is compassionate when addressing your concerns, and provides good service to you.
These are just some of the key things to look for when you are considering hiring estate planning attorneys to help you to plan ahead for your future.
Why Do Credentials Matter for Estate Planning Attorneys?
Credentials matter a lot when you are working with estate planning attorneys. Your estate plan usually contains a will, advanced directives for medical care, and trusts. Many of the documents you create are meant to protect you in case of incapacity and to protect your loved ones after your death.
This means you need these documents to work as promised, because you could be incapacitated or deceased by the time they go into effect. Obviously, you cannot correct errors at that point.
You also need to make sure the lawyer representing you knows how to use legal tools correctly because there could be a lot of money at stake. If you’re trying to reduce estate taxes or make sure your property is kept safe from being sold to pay for nursing home costs, you need to take the right steps. Mistakes could mean the loss of your nest egg or a significant decline in the value of an heir’s inheritance.
Getting Help from Suffolk County Estate Planning Attorneys
You cannot afford to hire just anyone when you need help with estate planning. Your estate plan involves protecting yourself in case of incapacity, at the end of your life, and after your death. If mistakes are made in the plan and not discovered until it is too late, your wishes for the end of your life may not be respected.
Eghrari Wealth Training Law Firm will help make sure you have control over your own destiny. Our Suffolk County estate planning attorneys provide comprehensive assistance making effective use of legal tools to provide the help that you deserve.
You can download our estate planning checklist to learn more about the services we can offer to aid in creating your personalized estate plan. You can also give us a call at (631) 265-0599 or contact us online to learn more about how an experienced lawyer can help you.
- Proving Lack of Testamentary Capacity in a New York Will Contest - September 27, 2023
- How to Handle the Black Sheep Beneficiary in Your Estate Plan - September 13, 2023
- What Is a New York Durable Power of Attorney? - September 6, 2023