Eghrari Wealth Training Law Firm is a full-service elder law and estate planning firm located on the North Shore of Long Island in Smithtown, New York. Our experienced legal team is committed to providing knowledgeable representation to clients who are interested in planning for the uncertainties of life and who are interested in planning for what happens after they have passed away. Our services range from financial and retirement planning to asset protection, to Medicaid planning to the creation of wills, trusts, estates and other legal tools that make up a comprehensive estate plan.
People of all age groups can benefit from getting personalized legal advice from an experienced estate planning and elder law attorney who offers them assistance on legacy and inheritance planning, protection of assets, long-term care planning, and the development of a personalized approach to achieving financial security. Our legal team is here to help with one-on-one service.
We also know that many people want to learn more about elder law and estate planning before coming to see an attorney. We’ve assembled a comprehensive list of resources that are aimed at helping you to find information that is important to you. Browse the available resources below to find out more details about Smithtown, NY and Long Island services; about information for seniors; and about estate planning tools. When you are ready to take the next step and get started on your personalized plan, give us a call.
Smithtown, NY Resources
Smithtown, NY has a population of more than 117,000 and the town offers many different services to locals and visitors alike. These resources will help you to identify local services available as well as local agencies that can provide you with information.
- The Town Clerk’s Office for Smithtown, NY
- Smithtown Community Resources
- The Official Website of Smithtown, NY
- Smithtown, NY Department of Public Safety
- The Suffolk County Police Department, serving Suffolk County
Suffolk County, NY Probate Court
While most estate planing matters do not involve going to court, both probate and guardianship proceedings do necessitate court involvement. These resources below provide information on the courts serving Long Island, NY, which is located within the Suffolk County court system in the 10th Judicial District.
- Suffolk County Surrogate’s Court: This court handles “all issues involving wills and the estates of people who die,” as well as having jurisdiction over guardianship proceedings and cases involving unclaimed property when a deceased has no will.
- Surrogate’s Court Forms: This website provides access to the forms that will be required if you have a case before the Surrogate Court. Forms are organized into categories, including forms for probate; for small estates; and for guardianship.
- Suffolk County District Court: This website is the main site for the court, which provides information on courthouses and locations as well as a FAQ page about the 10th Judicial District.
State and Federal Agencies
In many cases, seniors are able to qualify for benefits from the federal or state government or from the Veteran’s Administration. From Social Security to Medicare to Aid & Attendance for veterans, seniors need to know about qualification criteria and eligibility for different benefit programs. Seniors should also be aware of state and federal agencies that provide service and support. Some of the state and federal agencies that could offer you important information include:
- Adminstration on Aging
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Division of Veterans’ Affairs
- Internal Revenue Service
- National Institutes of Health/National Institute on Aging
- New York Department of Health
- New York State Developmental Disabilities Planning Council
- New York State Office for Aging
- Office of Advocate for Persons with Disabilities
- OrganDonor.gov (Department of Transplantation)
- The Department of Veterans Affairs
One of the primary reasons people seek help from estate planning attorneys is the avoidance of taxes. You can develop a strategic plan to take advantage of tax-deferred savings accounts to help you save for retirement. You can also take steps to try to reduce the estate taxes that will be assessed upon your death. To understand the types of tax planning that you need to do, you can review these resources on taxes:
- Internal Revenue Service
- New York State Department of Taxation and Finance
- IRS Estate Taxes
- IRS Frequently Asked Questions on Estate Taxes
- IRS Rules on Individual Retirement Arrangements
Resources for Seniors
Elder law is not just for seniors – anyone can benefit from the assistance offered by attorneys who can help with financial planning, asset protection, and incapacity planning. However, because seniors are more likely to pass away or become incapacitated, many seniors especially recognize the importance of creating a plan. These resources are targeted towards seniors and provide information on aging, as well as on matters that affect the lives of the elderly:
- Alzheimer’s Association
- National Association of Area Agencies on Aging
- National Council on the Aging
- National Guardianship Association
Getting Help from an Experienced Long Island Elder Law Lawyer
The fields of elder law and estate law are complex, and they are areas of law with no room for error because your assets and your heirs’ inheritance is at stake. Eghrari Wealth Training Law Firm attorneys are members of the American Academy of Estate Planning attorneys, the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, the American Bar Association, and the New York Bar Association. We have received an AV Preeminent Rating, and have an Avvo rating of 10. Our extensive credentials and long track record of providing services to clients speaks for itself when it comes to demonstrating our commitment to helping people throughout Long Island.
We will help you to understand the laws and make the best use of legal resources and tools available that will allow you to create your comprehensive plan for the future. Give us a call today to schedule a consultation and learn more about how we can help.