Smithtown is a Long Island town that is part of Suffolk County, NY. It considered a census-designated place and it is on the northern shore of Long Island. As of the most recent census, more than 117,000 people lived in Smithtown. At the time of this census, 7.2 percent of households were comprised of a person aged 65 or older who was living alone.
Seniors in Smithtown should take advantage of elder law resources that are available to them. In fact, every Smithtown resident should consider working with an elder law attorney to make use of legal tools that will protect them if they get sick or protect them as they age. You need to make plans to protect your assets, afford nursing home care if you need it, and address both end of life and legacy issues. Mark S. Eghrari & Associates, PLLC is here to help.
If you are ready to make your personalized plans for the future, give us a call to talk with a Smithtown elder law attorney. If you would like to obtain generation information on elder law resources in the Smithtown area, you can also take advantage of the resources our legal team has prepared for you below. These resources will help you to learn more about key elder law issues so you can begin to formulate a plan to prepare for the future.
Nursing Home Resources
It is important to make advanced plans in case you need nursing home care so you can pay for care and make sure you have an appropriate facility that will provide you with the highest possible quality of life.
By making advanced plans before you get sick and need care, you will ensure that there is time to carefully research the reputation and amenities of care facilities that you could potentially move to when you need nursing home care. To help you select an appropriate nursing home in Smithtown, you can take advantage of these resources:
- A list of licensed skilled nursing facilities in Suffolk County: This is a comprehensive list of different skilled nursing facilities that are licensed by the New York State Department of Health.
- Nursing home reviews and ratings for Suffolk County: com has a list of 49 different nursing home facilities in Suffolk County, including several homes located directly in the Smithtown area. You can find a home that has a good reputation and offers the services you need.
Mark S. Eghrari & Associates, PLLC will help you to make an advanced nursing home plan. If you or your loved one needs to move to a nursing home quickly because of a serious health issue or injury, we can also provide you with assistance in finding a facility that is right for you.
Senior Activities and Supports in Smithtown
There are many support programs for seniors living in and around Smithtown that older people can take advantage of as well. To find out about senior activities and supports, you can visit:
- The Suffolk County Office for the Aging Program: You can find out information about elder abuse, adult daycare, services for family caregivers, case management, home energy assistance programs and other community-based services offered to seniors.
- The Senior Citizen’s Department of Smithtown, NY: The Smithtown Senior Citizens Department aims to improve quality of life for seniors. There is a senior center that is open to visitors aged 60 and older who are residents of Smithtown. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. The center can be found at 420 Middle Country Road, Smithtown, NY 11787. The telephone number to reach the center is 631-360-7616.
If you need more intensive support than these services can provide, Mark S. Eghrari & Associates, PLLC will help you to understand what your options are for obtaining benefits and services through various government programs. Both Medicaid and programs through the Veterans’ Administration (for eligible veterans) could help you to get long-term care, nursing home care or other help you need as you age.
Medicaid Information in Smithtown
One of the most important services an elder law attorney can provide to Smithtown residents is assistance getting covered by Medicaid. Obtaining Medicaid coverage can be vital if you need long-term care or nursing home care because Medicare only pays for skilled nursing care. It doesn’t provide any coverage at all for custodial care, which is the type of care that is most often needed by seniors who must move into a nursing home.
Because you cannot get coverage for nursing home care or long-term care from most other sources, you could be forced to pay out-of-pocket for your care if you aren’t able to get Medicaid to cover you. You should take advantage of some important resources to learn about Medicaid coverage and eligibility including:
- Medicaid in New York State: This page is operated by the New York State Department of Health and it has many details about the state’s Medicaid program, including information on how you can apply for Medicaid and what your rights are.
- The federal gov website: This website provides information on New York’s Medicaid program and on the general program requirements associated with Medicaid eligibility.
Mark S. Eghrari & Associates, PLLC will help you to protect your assets while getting Medicaid to cover you when you need nursing home care.
Getting Help from a Smithtown Elder Law Attorney
A Smithtown elder law attorney at Mark S. Eghrari & Associates, PLLC can provide personalized assistance with the creation of a nursing home plan so you are prepared in case you need nursing home care. We can help you to find a high quality facility and make sure you can pay for it.
We can also help with incapacity planning, retirement planning, asset protection, and other key issues that matter as you get older. We help people of all ages to make their plans for the future, so if you live in or around the Smithtown area and you want to put yourself on the path toward security as a senior, give us a call at (631) 265-0599 or contact us online today.