Central Islip is a community in Suffolk County, New York. Central Islip had a population of almost 35,000 as of the most recent census. It’s classified as both a hamlet and a census-designated place (CDP) and it spans approximately 7.1 square miles. Around 8.5 percent of households in Central Islip were comprised of seniors living alone, as of the most recent census.
Eghrari Wealth Training Law Firm provides service to residents of Central Islip and their family members when legal issues arise that must be resolved through probate proceedings. Going to probate court may become necessary if someone has become incapacitated without having a plan in place for who will take over management of assets and decision-making. It may also become necessary after a death in order to facilitate the transfer of assets.
If your loved one is incapacitated or if your loved one has passed away, you need to understand what is involved in going to probate court. It’s important to understand the probate process and our legal team can help you to do just that. We represent executors of an estate, heirs or beneficiaries who stand to inherit after a death, and anyone who wishes to contest a will because they do not believe that the last will and testament is a true reflection of the wishes of the deceased.
We can help you through the probate process and work with you to facilitate the timely and cost-effective transfer of a deceased person’s assets. You should give us a call to get personalized help. You can also learn more about probate in Central Islip by making use of some of the resources below that have been compiled by our legal team.
Probate Resources in Central Islip
Probate proceedings take place in the court in the county where an incapacitated person lives or in the county where a deceased person either resided or owned property. Because Central Islip is located in Suffolk County, probate proceedings will take place in the Suffolk County court. The court where probate proceedings take place in New York is actually called the Surrogate’s Court.
Some of the resources that you can make use of to learn more about the Surrogate’s Court or about court proceedings include the following:
- The main website of the Suffolk County court system: This website provides details on where the court is located at 320 Center Drive in Riverhead, NY 11901. The telephone number for the court is 631-852-1713.
- The forms section of the Surrogate court’s website: Here you can find forms related to probate proceedings, small estate proceedings, guardianship proceedings, and more. PDF copies of forms are available and can be accessed easily.
- The NY Courts website: Here, you can find general information about how the court system is structured in New York, including information about Surrogate’s Courts. For example, the NY Courts website explains Suffolk County is part of the 10th Judicial District.
Eghrari Wealth Training Law Firm can help you if you need to go to probate court. You should not try to handle probate matters on your own because a lot of money could be at stake. You don’t want to make mistakes that undermine your efforts to respect the wishes of the deceased or that cause an inheritance to decline in value so heirs or beneficiaries receive less than they should.
Estate Tax Resources in Central Islip
Tax reform has changed the rules for federal estate tax so a smaller number of taxpayers will have to pay federal estate tax once reforms go into effect. However, those with large estates who pass away may need to pay estate taxes to the state, to the federal government, or both. The threshold at which your estate becomes taxable is lower in New York than the federal estate tax limit, so it is important to understand the rules for both state and federal estate tax. These resources can help:
- The IRS FAQ page for estate tax: Here, you will find information about the federal estate tax, including answers to questions that are commonly asked about the estate taxes that have to be paid to the federal government.
- The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance: You can find out the rules for when you must pay estate tax in the state of New York and learn about the thresholds above which estate tax must be paid if you own property locally.
Eghrari Wealth Training Law Firm can provide assistance during the probate process in filing all required tax forms and in complying with tax obligations. Our legal team can also provide assistance during the estate planning process to try to ensure that you make advanced plans to reduce or avoid estate tax. If you don’t want an inheritance to be substantially reduced due to a large tax bill, you should begin the estate planning process early to plan to limit the taxes that your estate may have to pay.
Getting Help from Central Islip Probate Attorneys
While these resources can help you to learn a lot about the probate process in Central Islip, there is no substitute for getting personalized legal advice that is specific to your own unique circumstances.
Eghrari Wealth Training Law Firm provides help with the estate planning process so you can prepare to avoid or reduce estate tax and so you can determine if you want your assets to transfer through probate or if you would prefer to use other tools like trusts to help your family avoid the probate process. We also provide representation to all those involved in the probate process, including the executor of an estate, heirs or beneficiaries, and those who wish to contest a will.
To find out more about all of the different services our legal team can provide in connection with probate proceedings, join us for a free seminar. You can also give us a call at (631) 265-0599 or contact us online at any time to get help with the probate process.
See Larger Map