Many people think of a Long Island estate planning attorney as someone who helps them to create a will. Although this is one key task that an attorney does, it is far from the only task an estate planning lawyer can help with. In fact, there are a lot of things which an estate planning attorney can do that may surprise you.
If you want to find out all of the different ways in which a Long Island estate planning attorney can assist you in protecting yourself, protecting your family, and preparing for the future, contact Mark S. Eghrari and Associates PLLC. Our legal team has the skills and experience to provide a wide array of services required by people of all ages. Give us a call now to find out more.
Five Surprising Things a Long Island Estate Planning Attorney Can Help With
Estate planning attorneys provide many valuable services. Some of the surprising things which an estate panning attorney can help you with include.
- Asset protection: Estate planning attorneys can assist you in assessing all of the different threats to your wealth. You may discover that losses are possible if you need nursing care, if estate taxes are assessed, if you become incapacitated, or if your heirs are irresponsible. Estate planning lawyers can help you to anticipate the things which could cause your estate to lose value and can assist you in making a plan to ensure your assets are protected from these sources of loss.
- Protecting young families: Estate planning lawyers do not just help the elderly. As soon as you are married, have children, or have anyone depending upon you, it becomes time to create an estate plan. Your attorney can help you to get enough insurance; to set aside money for your future and your family’s future; and to make sure your kids have a guardian and will be provided for in case something happens to you while they are growing up.
- Providing for loved ones with special needs: If you have a loved one in your life who is disabled, you need to make provisions to protect that person. Depending upon your relationship with the person who has special needs, this may involve naming a guardian or simply making a financial gift. There are risks to giving money to someone who is disabled, including the potential for the money to be mismanaged or the possibility the gift will cause a loss of access to government benefits. An estate planning attorney helps you to deal with those risks and make sure your loved one with a disability has financial security and a safe home.
- Securing veterans’ benefits: A Long Island estate planning attorney can help veterans and their families to understand the kinds of benefits and programs which may be available as veterans age. There are a wide variety of programs, from medical foster homes to community nursing centers to an increase in pension benefits for bedridden vets to respite services for caregivers. An attorney helps to identify available benefits and to apply for them.
- Ensuring the long-term success of your business: If you have a company, you need to make certain that you have a succession plan in place. You also need to ensure the value of your business does not result in estate taxes being assessed which there is not enough money to pay.
These are just a few examples of the many different kinds of services which can be provided by a Long Island estate planning attorney.
When Should You Talk with a Long Island Estate Planning Attorney
Since an estate planning lawyer can do much more than most people expect, it is a good idea for anyone who is planning for the future to talk with a Long Island estate planning attorney in order to find out what services could be provided to help them achieve more security for themselves and their loved ones. You should contact an attorney as soon as you can if you are thinking about end-of-life issues, or want to protect the people you care about in case you pass away.
Getting Help from a Long Island Estate Planning Attorney
If you want help with these or other important state planning tasks which are designed to provide you with more security despite life’s uncertainties, call Mark S. Eghrari and Associates PLLC today at (631) 265-0599 or contact us online. You can also join us for a free seminar which can help you to find out more about the estate planning process.