Veterans should consider talking with a Long Island estate planning lawyer as they begin to get older or if they are diagnosed with a serious medical condition. Because of the selfless service which veterans provided for the good of their country, there are many benefits programs available to veterans. Many of the programs that exist are designed to help the elderly and to cope effectively with the impact of aging.
Unfortunately, far too many vets don’t know about the services and support they are eligible for or do not know how to get the benefits they deserve. A Long Island estate planning attorney can help vets to find out what help they, and what assistance their families are entitled to receive. Eghrari Wealth Training Law Firm has a long track record of assisting veterans to maximize their benefits. Give us a call today and let us put our experience to work for you.
What are Some Benefits Veterans are Entitled to?
The Veterans Administration provides details on VA benefits which are available to elder veterans. There are a wide range of different possible programs. Some of the services which are offered include:
- Aid & Attendance: A&A provides a pension increase for eligible veterans who meet certain criteria, such as requiring help with daily functions or being bedridden. The purpose of this pension increase is to help defray some of the substantial costs which are associated with paying for comprehensive nursing care.
- Geriatric care: There are geriatric care or long-term care programs available to veterans of all ages who need daily support and assistance. Geriatric care can be provided in VA medical centers, at community programs near to where you live, and in VA medical centers.
- Caregiver support: Providing support for caregivers can make it easier for them to fulfill their responsibilities to the family member for whom they are providing assistance. Services for caregivers include things like respite care, which allows for caregivers to get a break while someone else assists.
- Medical foster care: For veterans who need temporary help with medical services, medical foster care can provide the answer.
- Shared decision-making assistance: Making choices about medical care, a living situation for seniors, and end-of-life care can all be very complicated. The VA provides support so you can make plans that work for you and for your family.
These are just a few of the many veterans benefits that could possibly be available. There are also options for community-based nursing homes; adult day healthcare; home-based health care; tele-health care; and more. The costs and availability of services can vary, so it is important to do comprehensive research into some programs that could work for you.
Why You Should Get Help with Veterans’ Benefits from a Long Island Estate Planning Lawyer
While the VA has many different programs available, the rules for eligibility are different for each program. It can be confusing to navigate all of the different kinds of benefits which could potentially be available to you. Not only that, but determining how to actually apply can be complicated, as can gathering all of the information that you need to prove eligibility. This process can be made even more complicated by technological problems that the VA is famous for.
A Long Island estate planning lawyer knows all of the different benefits programs that the VA offers. When you come to us for help, you can describe your situation and your service history and we can provide details on what benefits and services you can take advantage of. We’ll then help you to complete required applications, provide necessary supporting documentation, and follow up on submitted applications. Our goal is to make sure you get the benefits that you deserve.
How a Long Island Estate Planning Lawyer Can Help Veterans
Veterans should never be denied benefits they have earned or deprived of benefits that are due to them. Unfortunately, understaffing and technological issues at the VA can make it hard for veterans to get all of their benefits. You need an advocate on your side, and Eghrari Wealth Training Law Firm is ready to help.
To learn about how veterans benefits can affect your estate planning and planning for the future, you should download our estate planning checklist. If you want personalized advice or assistance in getting benefits that could help you cope with the effects of illness or aging, give us a call at (631) 265-0599 or contact us online to speak with a member of our legal team to find out about the personalized advice we can offer you.
- What You Need to Know about the New York Medicaid Estate Recovery Program - June 15, 2022
- How to Decide Which Kind of Last Will and Testament Is Right for You - June 1, 2022
- How to Be a Caregiver from a Distance - May 25, 2022