A Long Island probate attorney provides you with invaluable assistance throughout the entirety of the probate process. An experienced attorney can represent anyone who is involved in probate, whatever their role within the process. This includes the executor of an estate, heirs or beneficiaries, and those who have made the decision to contest a will because they do not believe it is a reflection of the wishes of the deceased.
The probate process can be confusing, and Investopedia indicates that probate can take as long as a year or more and can result in costs equal to around three to seven percent of the value of the estate. There is a lot at stake when it comes to protecting an inheritance and keeping the estate assets secure during probate and you need to make certain you have a Long Island probate attorney with the compassion and experience to provide the type of representation you need.
Give us a call to find out how Mark S. Eghrari & Associates PLLC can help you during the probate process. Our legal team is happy to answer any questions you have and to provide you with essential details on the services that we can offer you.
Questions to Ask a Long Island Probate Attorney
If your loved one has died and you are thinking about working with a Long Island probate attorney to help you during the probate process, there are a few key questions that you are going to want to ask in order to ensure that an attorney can provide the services you require. When talking with an attorney about whether the lawyer can represent you during the probate process, you should ask:
- Do you regularly represent clients during the probate process in Long Island? You want an attorney who is familiar with the local probate court, as there are different probate courts within each county. Having an experienced attorney is key to navigating the probate process.
- What kinds of assistance do you offer? You want to find out exactly what kinds of services your probate attorney will provide for you. The more legal help your lawyer can offer, the less stressful the probate process should be for you.
- What experience do you have? You want an attorney who is focused on representing people during the probate process and whose career is devoted to estate planning and probate. Probate and estate laws are complex, specialized areas of law and you should have a lawyer who knows these areas of law inside and out.
Mark S. Eghrari & Associates PLLC can provide answers to these questions, and can answer any other questions you may have about the probate process or about the ways that an attorney can help you to navigate this process. Give us a call to talk with a Long Island probate attorney to get the information you need.
When Should You Talk with a Long Island Probate Attorney
You should talk with a Long Island probate attorney as soon as someone you care about has died. It is especially important to get legal help if you have been named as executor of an estate, as the executor has many different responsibilities that require highly technical knowledge.
As executor of a will, you will have to take care of property; deal with tax issues; provide appropriate notifications; deal with creditors and those who owe money to the estate; and take care of both formal court proceedings and the transfer of ownership. A lawyer can help you with all of these steps and with fulfilling any other responsibilities that you have during probate.
Heirs or beneficiaries and those contesting a will also should get legal help immediately upon a death. Heirs need to protect their inheritance, while those contesting a will need to be prepared to make good legal arguments to ensure the wishes of the deceased are respected.
Getting Help from A Long Island Probate Attorney
Mark S. Eghrari & Associates PLLC provides assistance during the estate planning process for any individuals who wish to help their family members avoid probate. We also offer legal guidance to those who are going through the probate process. We represent heirs or beneficiaries, the executor of an estate, individuals contesting a will, and anyone else with a legal interest in the probate process.
To find out more about what is involved in probate, join us for a free seminar. You can also give us a call at (631) 265-0599 or contact us online to speak with a Long Island probate attorney about how an attorney can help you to fulfill your responsibilities during the probate process.
Latest posts by Mark S. Eghrari, Estate Planning Attorney (see all)
- Estate Administration Can Be Simplified With a Living Trust - January 17, 2019
- An Overview of the Estate Administration Process - January 16, 2019
- Confront the Eventualities of Aging - January 15, 2019