Long Island veterans are entitled to receive many different kinds of benefits. The specifics of programs you are eligible for and the services which will be provided to you are going to vary depending upon the length of your military service, your income, your service-connected disabilities, and your current health status. It is important to understand what kinds of benefits you should be able qualify for so you are able to take advantage of programs that you earned access to and so you can use the financial benefits to help you achieve greater security for you and your loved ones.
While all veterans need to know about the array of benefits they should receive for their service, it can be especially important for senior Long Island veterans to explore the help the Veterans Administration can offer through its programs for seniors. This is because people who are getting older tend to experience more health problems, need more assistance, and incur more significant expenses for care. Some of this care may be subsidized and the VA can also offer important aid to veterans and their families during the aging process.
Mark S. Eghrari & Associates PLLC provides invaluable assistance to Long Island veterans in both understanding the benefits they should be receiving and in helping them to qualify for those benefits. Give us a call today to find out more about how our legal team can help you to explore the benefits you are eligible for and can guide you through the process of getting all that you deserve.
Benefits Available for Long Island Veterans
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs provides a summary of the many programs which should be available to help veteran service members who are aging. Depending upon your service record, your income level, and your health status, some of the services and programs you could be eligible to take advantage of for free or for a subsidized cost include:
- Adult day health care where veterans can go to connect with peers, take part in recreational and social activities, and also receive skilled services, help with routine daily living activities and case management services.
- Home-based care. There are options for home health aides, skilled home care, and home-based primary care.
- Hospice and palliative care, which is focused on making veterans more comfortable when they are sick or when they are nearing the end of their lives.
- Respite care, which is a benefit provided to caregivers so they can have some time away from their responsibilities while ensuring that their loved one is cared for properly.
- Nursing home and assisted living services including community residential care; medical foster homes; adult family homes; community living centers or nursing homes; and state veterans homes.
For veterans who are bedridden, who require assistance to do routine activities of daily living, who are in a nursing home due to physical incapacity, or who meet certain other qualifying criteria, it may also be possible to apply for Aid & Attendance (A&A). Aid & Attendance (A&A) benefits provide an increase to a veteran’s monthly pension. This increase can make it easier to afford the cost of expensive home healthcare services or nursing home services.
Getting Help With Long Island Veterans Benefits from an Experienced Attorney
Determining what veterans benefits you are able to qualify for can be a complex process because of the difficulty of navigating the bureaucracy. Not only is it a challenge to determine what benefits you should receive, but it can also be difficult to determine what types of evidence you need to prove your eligibility as well as to take the steps necessary to move your application for benefits forward in a timely manner.
Mark S. Eghrari & Associates PLLC has extensive experience providing assistance to Long Island veterans who are interested in taking advantage of all of the programs and the services that they have earned from the Veteran’s Administration as a result of their military service.
When you are ready to explore benefits for you and your family which can help you cope with the aging process, or if you wish to ensure you are taking full advantage of all benefits which should be available to you, give us a call today at (631) 265-0599 or contact us online to learn more about how an experienced Long Island veterans benefits lawyer can help you. We can provide assistance with an initial application, as well as with following up on pending applications or addressing a denial of benefits you believe that you deserve. Contact us now to learn more.
Latest posts by Mark S. Eghrari, Estate Planning Attorney (see all)
- Estate Administration Can Be Simplified With a Living Trust - January 17, 2019
- An Overview of the Estate Administration Process - January 16, 2019
- Confront the Eventualities of Aging - January 15, 2019